Thursday, May 27, 2010

Brains, Adults, and Violins

All the latest research shows that middle-aged brains are better suited and more "talented" for tackling complex tasks than younger brains. This is great news if, like me, you are pushing 50 and have a long "things to do before I die" list. I originally posted this clip on Violin Lab but wanted to share it here too. I interviewed Glen Leupnitz, a brilliant scientist who is actively involved in anti-aging research. He has multiple PHDs, developed the canine parvo vaccine and was named by the International Biographical Centre, Cambridge, England, as one of "2000 Outstanding Intellectuals of the 20th Century" for outstanding contributions to the field of medicine. I thought it would be great to hear straight from the horse's mouth why learning violin as an adult is an excellent way to combat aging. I also asked, on my own behalf, if after 41 years of playing it was still possible to improve, to "up my game" so to speak.

3 comments:

  1. So very interesting. Thank you so much for sharing this interview with us. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tell my kids the 'exact' same thing about why we study math.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you think taking hold of some wild Irish fiddle music might be a "different" enough style to stretch your brain a bit ? That's very encouraging to hear that anyone can improve at any stage of ability...with just the right mindset, motivation and challenge !

    ReplyDelete