Monday, May 10, 2010

My Secret Practice Technique #1


I know I speak for all the orchestral violinists out there when I say how sometimes our spirits sag a little when we pick up our orchestra parts for practice and we see a jumble of ledger lines, fast tempo markings and crazy accidentals. When that happens, I just have to calmly sit myself down and apply these somewhat unorthodox practice methods. Here is an candid demonstration of one of those real life moments.

Below is the musical Rorschach test I'm working on. (I see a butterfly....)

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to my world Beth...I open myself up to potential embarrassment every time I play in public...LOL ! Thank you for sharing these tips. I have always been curious just how professional musicians go about learning their pieces. For some reason I always thought you just get your music and sit down and play it...guess not !
    I have monkeyed around with playing way up on the finger board, but I've never tried playing up there looking at the music. How on earth do you keep all those lines straight in your head and know where to play them ?!
    I have learned some strategies for practicing and now I'm eager to give them a try !

    ReplyDelete