Sunday, July 4, 2010

Violin Practice Fundamentals, part 1: Find Your Comfort Quotient Number


Prologue:


It has taken a good many years for me to hone good practice techniques, and even still I have much to learn. My earliest memories of practicing were “playing through” my Suzuki songs, one by one, with my mom accompanying me on the piano. My childhood practice methods didn’t extend to any degree of critical listening or reflection, much less thoughtful repetition.

My great “AHA” moment came when I was in middle school. It was the day before our studio recital and I had the stark realization that I couldn’t play through my recital piece without stumbles and hesitations. It was then, out of sheer desperation, that I finally did what I’m sure my teacher had been professing for years: I practiced. I actually remember dividing the piece into sections repeating each one many times until I got it right. EUREKA! It worked! My teacher said the next day after the recital, “I’m surprised you played it that well. You must have really practiced.” I assumed she meant I must have practiced hours and hours. In reality it was a relatively short session, (about an hour and a half, maybe), just a very focused one! Now had that experience truly become the pivotal moment where all the tried and true methods of efficient practice had become an institution of daily life, I would be a far better player than I am now. Sadly, it took a good many more years to rehabilitate old, ineffective habits.

Fast -forward about 30 years. As a teacher I’ve come to realize the importance of guiding a student through the practice process. I frequently "practice" with them in the lesson. We call those days " boot camp". It's kind of like the old adage: Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. The following blog entries cover what I feel to be the basic principles of good practice habits.

Part 1: Ratings System: the Comfort Quotient Number

You’ve found a piece you would like to play. It’s a little beyond your present abilities. You could start at the beginning working your way through the snags as they appear. But as an intelligent person you already know it’s more efficient to find the biggest tangles first and proportion much of your time on them. The problem is that there usually are many tricky places. In the following videos I share my little system to determine those places of highest priority.

Step 1: Find Your CQ 10



Step 2: Ranking for Highest Priority

3 comments:

  1. This is very helpful, Beth!! Thanks, Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your videos on practicing from the "very beginning" was exactly what I needed to hear today. Thank you!

    It is very difficult to Practice when you don't even know how to go about the process itself. One of the most stressful parts of going to a private lesson is the anxiety of trying to show that you have made progress on whatever you were supposed to be working on. I get so stressed out that I perform poorly and it seems that I have not practiced it at all. Having you say that it can take weeks/months to actually show measurable progress is very comforting, as I always had the misconception that I had to somehow "master" or at least nail whatever assignment I was given by an instructor within a week's time.

    Thanks for making things more manageable and more realistic for me. You can't imagine how wonderful your sharing of experiences and insight into learning the violin has been for me. You are a God sent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Beth, I've been practicing badly all along. I've had no real practice guidelines and have just been playing through my pieces for the most part. I do slow down and go over difficult parts more often, but not nearly as carefully as I should. Your suggestion to "rate" yourself is a big help ! I'll be trying your suggestion out for our "Meditation" study, which I am VERY anxious to get started on !

    ReplyDelete